The frame of the robot is built from MicroRax but it has no “sides”. I needed to mount some switches, etc. plus I wanted to mount the Arduino board securely and the two mounting holes in the Arduino are at very specific locations which would be better secured to a flat surface. They didn’t line up with the MicroRax.
The initial prototype had a hardboard base, but I thought I’d use the opportunity to learn how to get laser cut plastic. I found a supplier, Ponoko, which had a very simple interface. A lot of laser cutting houses use AutoCAD or Illustrator file formats to define the shape to cut. As I didn’t have an applications that can produce these, I liked Ponoko, as it used PNG. This can be generated huge number of apps, a lot of which are free.
Ponoko provide a sample template. The format is very straight forward. The colour of the line in the file defines the cut the laser will make. E.g. Cut, engrave, etc. They also have a huge array of materials, including acrylic, leather, card, wood, paper, rubber, etc.
I designed a top and a bottom. The bottom has a hole for the cables. The top is engraved (no reason other than I wanted to try it and it looks cool :-)) I didn’t get the holes for the switches laser cut, I drilled them, as I didn’t know at the time what switches I would be using.
The acrylic panels made the robot look very professional, in fact people ask me where I bought it 🙂
The panels made mounting the boards and switches trivial. I used self-adhesive PCB supports for the Arduino. The holes on the Arduino are 3.2mm. I found PCB supports 6.4mm high from RS which fitted perfectly. The Acryilic is easy to drip, so I hand drilled holes for the switches and buttons.